I was having a pretty rough day yesterday, for no particular reason.
Then my co-teacher handed me something that would change my entire afternoon: a set of keys for workbooks we had been using for the past year without keys; we had made many of our own. This was huge! So many hours had been put into trying to make the best keys, comparing them with other teachers, etc., so we were relieved.
I brought them to my friend, J, a fellow English teacher, who proceeded to give me the biggest hug EVER. It was amazing. All of his positive energy flew around me and put the best smile on my face. Well, happiness is contagious, because as I walked down the hall, I couldn't stay away from hugs.
One of my students from last semester walked by and asked what his homework was, jokingly, and I gave him a big hug and told him I missed him. Other students saw me hug him, and they called out, "Hi, Mrs. T!" I got about five or six hugs in about a minute. They were all from the same class from last semester, which I thought was really odd, but awesome. That class was one of my favorites. They all opened up and were so REAL, and they knew I was real, so we got along well.
I then brought the keys to my other friend, P, another English teacher, who said, "I could hug you right now."
Ha! This was huge for him to say, so I just laughed.
It was such a great afternoon, after such a yucky day. This job is absolutely worth it most days. The kids teach me to smile and laugh. They tell me good morning, even when I'm exhausted. They hug me, even though I'm a teacher. They still say hi, even though they're not in my class anymore. I've learned so much more than just the literature in this building. Thank goodness I'm here.
My friend told me that I was "definitely in the right profession!" How true.
No comments:
Post a Comment