Thursday, September 18, 2014

my face

Last night, Charlie woke up at 2 a.m. He has started to wake up once every night again--who knows why--but J is usually the one to get up, so I'm okay with it.

However, last night I decided to get up to help. I changed Charlie's diaper quickly, and since J wasn't in the room yet, I took a few minutes to just hold my baby. He stared up at me lovingly. He then reached up with both hands to feel my face. He felt all over, as if he was trying to remember how it felt for later. He would then drop his hands and stare at me, only to do it over and over again. It was the most precious few minutes. It was one of those defining moments in life that reminds you of how lucky you are to be alive and experience just five minutes with the best gift God can give.

I'll never forget how he felt my face and looked at me. As I said, he repeated it numerous times. J came in the room ready to take over, but I just couldn't get up. I told him to watch, and Justin watched as Charlie learned about his mommy. I then stood up to let J put him to bed.

I'm telling you, though, that was one of the coolest few minutes of my life.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...