Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Gone Girl

This past week, I went from being a reader of classics, love stories, and easy-going stories about life, to a reader of murder-mysteries. I am a true convert! I am excited to say that I loved the book Gone Girl by Jeannette Walls.

I'm not going to spoil the book for anyone since I've already handed it off to a friend to read, and it's possible that she could see this post. I will say this: The book kept my attention with the back and forth chapters (perspective changes), which kept me turning the pages. Throughout the entire book, I never knew who to trust. Oddly enough, that kept me going. Why would I like to read a book about the worst possible situation, along with one heck of an ending? I dont' know, but I'm definitely converted to the world of "summer reads" and suspenseful mysteries. At the end of the book, I almost felt betrayed, because I didn't know who to trust, and the ending didn't really help any of that.

But I questioned it. And that's important.

Why read a book that doesn't make you think a little bit? (besides the obvious summer reads that you read only to not think) I love a story that makes me want to talk about it, to discuss it, to share it, to see the characters as real people...to see the entire story as something that really happened, even though it didn't.

Man, that's a good book.

And I'm still thinking about it.

Off to read book #2 of this summer: The Silver Star by Jeannette Walls. It's definitely a change of pace, so I'll let you know how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...