Monday, July 15, 2013
The Fault in Our Stars
Reading this book angered me and upset me, quite frankly. It is such a change from the suspense of the first book of the summer, and to be honest, summer is not a time to read about cancer and blindness and cancer and dying and cancer.
I'm not trying to be cold-hearted. I have a big heart, which is why a book like this affects me. I knew it would, so I basically scanned the last twenty pages. Is that wrong?
I will give it this: it was a realistic (or at least what I can imagine) exemplification of cancer and what it's like to deal with disease. It shows a love story between two young kids, and they seem to have that kid-like affection that is interrupted by disease.
However, it didn't have the affection that loses me in feeling, and that's what I want from a book. It was very easy to read, which I also don't particularly like, and some of the circumstances between the characters wasn't necessarily believable.
I read this book because it was on a list of "Books to Read Before They Become Movies," and I definitely see why it is a fad book already. It's sad, so of course everyone decides it's a great book. Sad books need to make you fall in love with all of the characters, believe their story and relationship, feel connected to all the outside parts (the connection with that author didn't really keep my attention), and leave you not wanting to finish it.
Unfortunately, I read a fad book that I was ready to leave on the bookshelf when done. After reading real-life blog entries from a woman's perspective of her husband dying with cancer just last year, this book just irritates me. Maybe it irritates me because if it were true, it would be such a sad, sad story, and I would never want it to happen to me. (?)
I do, however, understand why it would become a movie (it's a quirky, untold love story), and I'm sure it will be good.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment