...where I rethink my life long goal of being a teacher and jumping right into a job on my last day of student teaching. Today was one of those days where I waited to get in my car before the tears started flowing. It's amazing that in 12 weeks of student teaching, this never happened. Now that I'm taking over such a horrible situation (and all the others know it and feel my pain), I am feeling the consequences. I have to keep thinking to myself that I have just 3.5 weeks after Christmas break. I really need to remember, however, that I have just 2 more days until the weekend, then another 3 days until Christmas break. That seems backwards, I know, but it's hard to get in the Christmas break mode when I know I have an interview for the school on Tuesday.
Things will get better--that is a definite. I should also mention that not everything is bad.. just a couple things that happened today. There are some wonderful kids in my classes, and I get a ton of support from them.
Now... off for some needed sleep.
Bring on the SNOW!
i don't know if this could help - i don't know the situation... however, i always ALWAYS told my kids that i didn't care where they came from or where they'd been...but i cared how they were in my room from that day forward... i reminded them they were like a blank sheet of pure white paper to me...and it was up to them to draw their picture...not what they did in the years past (granted, that was only a few years, but...they got the hint)...i cared about what they were doing now...and i wanted them to always give their best to me... i also promised them that they'd be getting 110% from me...every day... that i would fight to the end for them...they were mine...and i would do whatever i could to make sure they crossed the finish line ahead of the game... but they had to also give 110%, even if they didn't feel like it... it was kind of a heart to heart with them... they got it... i will tell you that, yes, i had my challenges, but i had kids who were "tagged" as trouble and "bad" from previous grades who were incredible with me... i never had a problem with those kids i was "warned" about...and, in fact, they were the ones i loved the most, probably... :)
ReplyDeleteremember...when you put yourself out there as a little vulnerable and human, sometimes, they lose the "baggage" and rise to a new standard... :) and, that may just be worth the heart to heart...
keep your head up... :) the first days are always the worst... you feel like a fish out of water...they obviously have a funky history behind them...but you're there...every day...and that earns a bit of respect, without a doubt...
:) don't doubt your gift, Miss H :) you're going to do just fine :) <3
Thanks so much for your uplifting spirit :)
ReplyDelete