Tuesday, December 14, 2010
4 Years of Lovin'
It's been 4 years of lovin' for my sweetie and I. Who would have thought I was right when I told my friend that he "might be the one" on the way home from school the first week I met him? Usually I leave out the sappiness, but I'm going to share our story with you now....
I was working at a retail store about ten minutes from my house. I really loved my job, and I was very close to the other employees I worked with. A few months before, I had gone through a rough break-up, had been dating around, and began to give up on a relationship of any kind. I was not desperate at this point--no. I was very picky. My previous relationships had taught me all of the things I didn't want in someone and also what I needed.
One day my friend Kenny came to me rambling on about a new guy, tall, handsome, kind of looks like you, perfect for you, starts working this week--all this crazy stuff. I thought he was crazy and went along with my business, though I couldn't help but get a little curious.
Later that week, Kenny rushed to tell me that the new guy was coming in for his first day. I stood with my friend hanging ornaments on the wall and the Christmas tree when I saw a tall, handsome guy walk in. I wasn't wearing my glasses, so there was a glow around him--couldn't tell what he looked like, but I noticed that he was wearing a jacket with two pin stripes (is that what you would call them?) down each arm. I looked down to see myself wearing a sweatshirt with two pin stripes down each arm. Too funny, I thought. Weird coincidence, of course (Later, I grew to hate that jacket.. it felt like plastic!) I heard him introduce himself to my boss -- I heard his name: "Justin." My mind kind of swirled as I realized this was not good!! His name was Justin!! That name from a long-term ex of mine. At that point, I told myself it wasn't going to happen. There is no way I want to date another guy named Justin. However, Kenny assured me that this new Justin was single and oh, so nice, and soon I would see what he was talking about.
How quickly this unraveled...
At first he was a quiet, shy type--not my favorite. However, something kept me interested in him... something that just drew me to him, really. We started talking each day we worked together--rolled rugs together (haha), asked for help finding things, just so we could hang out, and more. During this time, I found out he was in fact not single, but he was dating a girl from his college. (I didn't take this much into consideration, though, because he didn't seem that passionate about her or the relationship--was that so wrong of me?).
One day, we were outside unloading the truck and discussing artwork and photography. He mentioned an old manual camera that he really liked to use. My dad had just given me his old Pentax manual camera, so we suddenly had a reason to go out: photo shoot.
Our first "date" (definitely not a date... clarification: He was dating another girl... we went out as friends to take a few pictures and chat) was in my favorite city, driving around taking pictures and listening to music. We ended up in the mall parking lot sharing songs and talking. By the time we were almost home, it was close to midnight. We turned off the car in the parking lot we had met in and continued talking. His mom and my mom had been calling, wondering where we were. We stayed out talking until 3:30 am., and we both had to work the next day. Something happened that evening, he tells me now, that told him he had to be with me. Little did he know, I had decided this in the first week I met him. (Call me a home wrecker, but I was determined to get him to myself lol)
Long story short(er than it could be): He ended things with the other girl. They weren't very similar, and they hadn't been together long, but he was still very sad that he had to hurt her. We started fresh together after a couple months of getting to know each other, and he soon told me he loved me with a journal. His brother had given him a journal a few years back, and after he met me and decided he loved me, he wrote a journal entry about it. Showing me was his way of telling me how he felt. This was really neat because if you know me, you know how much I treasure journals and the art of writing by hand.
After that, we became closer and closer. I remember: celebrating New Years dancing to a band that imitated the Beatles (we were the two youngest people there), going to pick him up for the first time when his dog had to be put to sleep, and he was so sad, taking a trip to see a Shakespearean play, going to the beach with his family, then by ourselves, riding to school together even if we didn't have to, watching movies in the basement, our first Christmas, our first year.........
One very late summer night, as sappy as this may be, he stopped me on our walk, held my shoulders, and pointed up to a set of beautiful clouds. We then decided what they all looked like, back and forth. He then took my hand and started running, running, running. I ran screaming behind him. He told me to just let loose, so we ran, screaming, down a hill to the lake.
On one summer day, we decided we wanted to go paddle boating, but there was no truck to get it to the lake. We carried that darn thing all the way from my house down to the dock. It was the craziest-looking thing I think my neighbors have ever seen, and it was so hard!
We have come so far since then. It's hard to put into words. In 4 years, we have become a family, and we have successfully become teachers. Justin understands me too well--he knows how I think, and he loves it. He knows what bothers me, and he usually avoids it. We both understand the power of education, knowledge, and teaching, and we uplift each other. Most of all, he knows where my weaknesses are, and he strengthens them. I support him in all he does and bring out more of his silly side. I relax him if he is stressed, and I believe in everything he is capable of doing.
With no exaggeration, he is the nicest and most caring person I have ever met. He has one of the largest hearts of anyone I know, and any I can bet that you have met. And I'm lucky enough to have met him. I'm lucky enough to have won him over.
He is my dream guy.
Sure, some days aren't great, and other days I want to just quit my job and run to the hills, but overall, this has been a fantastic ride. I'm writing this because this is the last time I will celebrate the years we have been dating. Next year, we will start our new life together with one last name. It's scary, it's exciting, it's beautiful. I can say that I am gracious to God that got me here and thankful for all of the decisions that brought me to Justin.
He proposed on a late-night walk with the moon and stars out on a warm, perfect summer night, while overlooking the beautiful open field and lights from the buildings. I warmly said yes as we laughed on our way home to call family and friends. We're getting married in June, and it's going to be perfect: rain or shine.
We will live life together: He will continue to bring out my inner-nerd, and I will continue to bring out his inner-hippie.
Everything is going to be okay, everything is meant to be, everything has its purpose.
Happy 4 years, J. Love ya.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment