Tuesday, December 14, 2010

What's new?

Other than that, I'm simply teaching, teaching, teaching. I'm waiting for the weekend ever so patiently--or at least trying. I applied for the full-time position yesterday that begins on January 25th (the principal told me to), so let's hope I get it (even though, yes, I was hoping for those few months to just... breathe). Time to begin the real world.

My classes seem to respect me and like me. I'm working with them more each day. We are all becoming this little knit group that is bounded by trust--so far, I have exceeded the attendance record of both previous teachers, as well as, of course, all of the substitutes they had.

Drama is really fun--more fun than I thought it could be. Even though a lot of my time is spent up walking around helping, it's worth it. One girl even said, "wow, our other teacher never helped us like you do." There have been a lot of other nice comments from students so far, too. One funny comment I heard today, however, was that another teacher heard I am mean from one of her students. Honestly, I'm happy to hear that! It was from first block, and they were rather talkative and such, so if they think I'm "mean," that simply means I'm doing my job. They needed structure--here I am. I did take some time to talk to individual students today at the end of the block--I think that helped them seem more of my bright side. I try to be "bright" a lot in there, but considering it's 7 30 in the morning, I am rather quiet, and it is that much harder to show a big smile. My cheeks haven't even woken up yet. The other issue is that we're reading Animal Farm, the students hate it, and I am having them listen to it--therefore, we all kind of fall asleep. Unfortunately, there is no other way to do it because we need to finish it before Christmas break. I might try to get them to read a bunch of it for homework tomorrow night. My previous classes wouldn't do reading for homework, and they struggled with it, but maybe these guys will? I'll let you know how it goes....

Other than school, I've been getting forms ready to send for my teaching license. I've also been hanging out with my friends any chance I get.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...