Monday, August 23, 2010

Jotting Some Notes

#1 I've been playing on typeracer.com and my highest score so far is 118 wpm. Ask me about my obsession with typing as a child and my mean teacher and typing class another time..

#2 One Day is my new read beginning tonight. I'm hoping to finish it in the next couple of days because I'm already intrigued by the story. First off, I bought the book because I read about it online, and it sounded like a great quirky smart love story, kind of like The Time Traveler's Wife, which is one of my favorite books of all time. Turns out, I read the back cover when I got home to find a quotation about the book that read, "A totally brilliant book about the heartbreaking gap between the way we were and the way we are... The best weird love story since The Time Traveler's Wife." Perfect! Then, as I was reading the book, within the first twenty pages, there was a reference to The Great Gatsby, and how the character just felt like she was in the book. Perfect!! THEN, to top it off, the other character, Dexter, is an English teacher in London, but it just said what he really wants to do is "be a photographer." Really?? I think this book was made for me.

Did I tell you how the book's layout works? Basically, each chapter is one day in the next year of the two people's lives. So there is Emma and Dexter, who begin the story in bed together in 1988. The next chapter will be 1999, the next 2000.....etc. Each chapter is a snapshot (interesting how it relates to photography.. like looking at a photo collage) of their lives and how they end up together, apart, where they want or do not want to be. It is a path of two people that are in love (basically) in the beginning, and who they become and where they go. I'm already drawn in and don't want to stop. It's weird because I know that by the end of this book, I'm going to be a mess of conflicting thoughts--but it's worth the experience. Can't wait to tell you more tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...