Monday, July 19, 2010

Edward Sharpe and The Magnetic Zeros

They should be called "Edward Sharpe and the MAGNIFICENT Zeros." First of all, if you don't know this band, LOOK THEM UP. They are better live, but you'll get the idea.

We started out around 1 pm on Saturday. I offered (and kind of demanded) to drive that day, so I was extremely excited. I also had to be alert the whole time though, so I was a little more serious than I might have been if I had been a passenger (though if I was a passenger, I would have been thinking ughhhh I'm a passenger and I would much rather be drivinngggg) -- so it all worked out perfectly. Anyhow, the show didn't start until 9 pm, but we stopped along the way for some snacks, and ate dinner at a great diner when we got into town. They had a simple chicken salad sandwich that was just what I wanted. I didn't feel sick or anything that night! :)

While looking for a bar, we stopped at an ATM on the sidewalk. My friend thought the machine took his debit card, so he and Laurie waited around to call the bank. Josh and I decided to explore a couple of blocks, because from the looks of it, there was a beautiful garden with a view of a river and pretty green grass at the bottom of the hill. Unfortunately, when we actually got there, we discovered it was actually the home for all home-less people. I have to admit to feeling rather out-of-place, as much as I want to feel comfortable around everyone. Let's just say I've had some strange experiences in big cities, and I didn't want to mess with my bad luck. Oh, and there was no garden or river, though there was green grass. In that moment, I preferred the streets and tall buildings, so we ventured back to our friends. PS: The debit card was in his wallet the whole time.

THE SHOW WAS AMAZING. I don't really know how my strictly scattered brain will tell you details without sounding crazy. The music was incredible. The only problem was they took a break for about... FOREVER. It was definitely worth the wait. Laurie and Brian sat back against the wall to enjoy the show from a distance, while Josh and I went to the front to dance. It was a hippie dancing party full of sweat, jumping, singing, and lifted hands. I let the music move me and didn't think about anything else.

When the band left the stage, I was pretty much devastated. I didn't want it to end... but neither did anyone else. We all cheered and stomped our feet while the lights stayed out until finally the band came back to do one last song. The main singer, Alex, came down into the crowd. I hadn't noticed at first, but Josh started pushing me (nicely) to get closer. We edged our way up about two to three people away from him. I felt a little crazy when I reached for him one time, but I tried to refrain from that and simply watch him. The singer decided to sit to sing us the last song (in the middle of the crowd, yes), and asked us to do the same. Josh and I were included in the circle of about a fifteen foot circumference around Alex that sat down...... alllll over each other. It was hilarious. I sat on Josh, unfortunately for him, but the person in front of me was on me, so what could a girl do? I have to admit, my feet were kind of DYING, but I was okay. He sang a really slow, beautiful song to us. Afterward, I wanted to talk to the guy, but I couldn't really catch his attention enough. The guy with the head band and face paint won, I'd say. He went back to the stage as I stared in awe, and the concert was over.

The ride home wasn't bad, and good company kept me awake. I was surprisingly alert, considering the time of the morning it was, but around the last half an hour, I was ready for sleep.

This concert reminded me how much I love to take road trips, and how much I absolutely, unconditionally adore music. It is what defines me as a human (besides my Creator), and I really need it.

Did I mention how lovely Jade was?

Next, this is a video I found on youtube of the concert. I can actually see my friends' heads in the back of the room. I think I found Josh and I up there somewhere.....

OH, but this blog isn't big enough for this particular sized video, so just click on it twice, and you can see the whole thing on youtube.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...