Friday, June 25, 2010

Appendix Problems

Well, each summer comes with a new adventure, but this one was quite unexpected! I started getting a weird stomach ache last Monday around dinner time. It continually bothered me until Wednesday morning, when I decided to go to the doctor. I usually don't go to the doctor that quickly, but I knew something just was't right. It was a very strange stomach ache. The doctor almost didn't send me to get a scan, but I insisted that it was pretty bad. She checked me "just one more time," when she decided I should head over to the hospital. After the CT scan, I thought I would be going home to get dinner (I hadn't eaten since 9 am, and it was now around 3 pm). The doctor instead told me I had appendicitus, and it was pretty bad. He said he wasn't sure how I looked so good. Off to surgery I went. I woke up to myself crying (strange, right?). I guess it was just a reaction to the meds, and to the fact that I didn't want to be there! I was also tired and so hungry. It was now around 11 pm. The second time I woke up, I threw up into a cup the nurse barely handed to me in time. This is a reaction to the meds, because it has happened before. The third time I woke up, I saw little bits and pieces of my mom, brother, and J trying to say hi to me--yes, they drove down to see me as soon as they found out. I was then even more exhausted because I could not wake up (this is also a reaction I've had before), so I let myself fall asleep again. At 3 am I woke up to a nurse, and I talked to J later around 6 am--I think. He stayed all night, thank goodness. I hate the hospital.

The doctor told me that morning that my appendix had been essentially "dying" inside of me. Gross! She said she had to get it from being a little stuck to my colon. Yum! So she kept me in the hospital a second night. I also had to get another CT scan (and drink that gross stuff-again), since I was in a lot of pain. She was worried something was wrong. It was okay.. thank goodness. I still was in a lot of pain, though. It was pretty bad. I had to get help to sit up, and even with help, it hurt.

It's amazing, though, how fast one can heal. With my foot surgeries, it took over a month to even consider walking around again. With this, each day I felt slightly better, so that I could eventually sit up on my own.

--Now I'm home, and the doctor told me yesterday I can go to the pool again! I am so happy about this. I also was able to have a beer -- I needed the edge off -- so I had a nice time at a BBQ last night. There's nothing like good people, good conversation, and good hugs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...