Thursday, August 11, 2016

Relationships

I am overwhelmingly happy with the people I have met in my 29th year. At one point in my twenties, I feared getting older, concerned about how hard it is to make friends. It seems as though everything has fallen into place now, and I'm thankful.

Before I mention all of the new people in my life, I should mention the comfort and love in my long-term and life-long friends. My friendships have remained steady and strong, and we pick back up where we left off with each visit. Beautiful! They are my rocks, and even though I see them the least, they are the people I miss most and love most. These friendships will be for life, and I say that confidently and joyously. I love them so much.

When I got a new job, I didn't expect to meet people I would grow so close to, but with weekly coffee and shoulders to lean on, I have made new friends of all ages at work. These women, specifically, have been such good influences on me and such great supports. We may not be very similar people, but we are deep, intellectual people who enjoy spending time together and holding each other up.

We started going to a new church in November, and the love poured all around us--I could feel it the first day we were there! We are surrounded by young couples, toddlers, babies, and all other ages. We've made friends with so many of these incredible people, and I find myself loving them as--extended family--for lack of words. I care for all of them. We're in the family of Christ together.

I joined a women's Bible study right away (something I've never done), and the women were so welcoming. Each week of the winter, I looked forward to seeing these women whom I didn't even know--it just felt like I was supposed to be there. Over time, I've been able to get to know a couple of the women more, and they have become wonderful friends.

After attending the church for about seven months, I joined the worship team, and these people have also felt like family. They are made up of inside jokes and melodious song, which is a perfect combination. They have allowed me to be a part of their team, and they appreciate what I bring to the table. It has been such a blessing to be with them each week.

I wonder if this is just a very ripe season of my life, and it could possibly fade, but I'm going to hold it closely with hope to build stronger relationships. My childhood was filled with friends who moved, so I always wonder if that will be continuous, but something about these new friendships and acquaintances seems more solid. Maybe I can count on this. Maybe I can expect it to stay the same. If I keep the positive outlook, instead of the glass half empty, the love can only grow.

I never used to be very religious, but this year has shown me God's grace. I was falling apart last year--falling to pieces of broken me, and it was hard to see a way out. God has gifted me with cherished friends, a loving church, and an enjoyable job. It's amazing what one year can do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...