Thursday, November 5, 2015

Update

Eyes tell you a lot about a person. Sometimes people don't even look you in the eye when they talk; others can only look for a few moments before feeling strange. One of the most beautiful aspects about an innocent, unbroken toddler, is that he looks me in the eyes without thought or concern or question. He can just stare at me, smiling, and I can safely stare back. There is absolutely nothing unnatural about it. This goes on as long as we want, until he finds something else to fully focus on. It really is a simple thing I've noticed, but it's just incredible, and I'm really thankful.

Something else I'm thankful for is the fact that our HOME is finally getting started. It will arrive on Nov. 12th, get set on the lot on Nov. 13th, and fingers crossed, get completed by Christmas break. Incredible. It's surreal seeing it going up on our lot. We never thought we would build so early in our marriage. Although it's a modular, it is going to be just as special because we picked everything out. Our 2-acre piece of land is beautiful, and I can already feel how relaxing it will be. Driving over an hour to work every day, along with coming "home" to a crowded upstairs area, is not ideal. Yes, we are thankful, but it isn't home. It's very chaotic, really. So to finally know we are getting close is the best feeling.

Here's a little bit about our home:

one floor with an unfinished basement
three bedrooms
master bedroom on one side, bedrooms on the other
master bath with large tub and walk-in shower (J and my wishes)
pantry (something we've always wanted!)
place for the animals, finally (basement)
three windows in the living room out the front, which should be nice
laminate hardwood floors; we're used to carpet! this will be great

I'm having trouble envisioning everything and how I'm going to decorate. Part of me wants to keep things basically the same as my old house because I loved it that much, but the other part of me wants to change things up a little to keep it exciting. If I keep anything the same, it'll be the living room with my eclectic, worldly atmosphere. 

Moving on: Charlie is incredible. He is becoming such a little personality, and it amazes me how small he is, yet how much he knows. He's saying some words: dagoo (thank you)--which he says for any exchange whatsoever, Hokies! Let's go! ("Taco!"), door, shoes, daddy, mommy, doggy, graba (grandma), grapa (grandpa), ball, that, baba (banana), uh oh, no, truck (f***), this? (points to something), hot, and a few more that I can't remember.

He smiles and flirts, plays peek-a-boo, leans in for kisses, comes for hugs when we ask for them, picks up trash (adorable), puts things where they should go...

He sleeps with my old baby blanket or the quilt his nanny gave him. He's been sleeping through the night for weeks after a short spell of poor sleeping for a couple of weeks. 

We did have our worst sickness to date just two weekends ago. He had a high fever and he threw up in the middle of the night. He didn't throw up more, but he kept the fever for a few days, and he felt terrible. We took him to the doctor, but they just said it was a virus. That weekend was VERY stressful because J then caught the stomach bug and had to take off work after he had already taken off for Charlie. We barely got through the week (it was English testing week at school), and then I caught the bug that Friday after, which kept me down all weekend. Overall, it was a rough, dark, depressing two weeks! I figured out I don't handle stress well, especially with sickness. I get worried, which adds to my tension.

Charlie also lost a patch of hair around that time, which was and is concerning. He might have Alopecia, but we really hope not. I've mourned for a couple of days thinking of this possibility, but I realize if it's the case, he will be just fine. It's nothing health-related--just looks. We'll be loving parents and help him get through. However, it could just be that he, coincidentally, rubbed or pulled some hair out. He could be doing it at the sitter's where we can't see him or at night. We got steroid cream to try, but we're going to just have to wait it out. The spot got bigger today, which worries me, but we just have to keep pushing forward and hope for the best. I can't say I'm remaining super positive, though.

All in all, it has been a very chaotic two weeks. We've had such joys and such stress, all mixed in one. Now that we're in the clear with sickness, at least for a while, I feel a brighter world around me, ready to handle the tasks of parenting and teaching. It's definitely not easy! But we'll get there...

xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...