Sunday, June 21, 2015

Change

More has happened in the last few weeks than I ever imagined.

I got a new job.

What!?

Yes, I did. It's unreal. I will be working in the same county as J, and I'll be teaching 10 pre AP and 11. Wow. No more 9th. That hurts my heart a little bit, but I'm also excited.

So let's back up.

J has wanted me to be in his county since he decided he liked it there. I've always tried to get him to come to my county. We live closer to my county, but my school is much smaller with fewer opportunities. He tried to get me to apply to his county last year, and I decided against it. I knew he wanted me to this year, but I wanted to wait until I had five years under my belt at my current school, so I didn't think I would.

Well, we got a call one morning to ask if I was going to be interested in the jobs at one of the schools. Turns out, J had talked to a friend and said I might be interested, so she was checking in. It put me on the spot that morning around 6:30 a.m., so I said no.

Later that morning, I told my friend about the opportunity. He then told me that he had looked into another job, even though he had previously thought he would be staying, and that he would probably take it.

This was going to be my fourth friend leaving the school (with another soon to come), and I realized the timing was meant to be. I quickly sent J a text telling him I would be interested, so he let his friend know. This was Thursday or Friday, I think.

I turned in my contract for my current county Tuesday morning. I got a call Tuesday afternoon asking me to interview (talk about stressful timing!), so I set it up on Thursday afternoon. I was nervous all week. I hadn't interviewed in four years, so I felt out of practice. I've never been good at them. J and I studied together the night before to help me out. He asked me about 50 questions, and we typed up my answers. We printed it off at the end for me to review them. Little did I know, only one question would be asked from that list (and not even the same variation), but it did help me feel more confident and prepared.

I left at 2:45, and my two friends said they were called for a reference survey before the day was over, which means they must have called right after I left.

The next morning, Friday at 10:30 a.m., I got the call that they wanted to hire me. I won't go into detail, but this sent me into a crazy frenzy for a good two hours. This was a huge decision. I knew I had to get out of my current contract, and I also knew the offer was for 10th pre AP and 11th grade, not 9th and 10th, which is what I was used to. It was all happening so fast, and I knew I needed to figure things out before the weekend; otherwise, I'd have to sit on it and stress for the next two days.

I went to the school board to ask permission to get out of my contract, and it was granted. They were so nice about it that I got in my car and started crying. The county I attended high school in, and taught in for four years, was being so nice when I was asking to leave. It suddenly reminded me of all the great things about that school and county.

In the same breath, I knew I was a creature of habit, and if I didn't take this job, I would probably stay in the same county for years and years, only looking back to regret not trying something different. I also knew I would want adventure throughout my life, and although it stresses me out, it also keeps things interesting and exciting, so this seemed to be the right adventure to take.

I took the job.

I didn't expect it to happen, and I still have moments where I wonder what it will be like, how difficult it will be, and how things will be different. Change is scary and new, but it's good for me. I will learn from this experience and become a stronger teacher. I can always go back to my home county after some experience elsewhere, but for now, this is a good opportunity. We will also save a ton in health insurance, and I'll make a little bit more. J and I will ride together most days, which could be a good or bad thing.

The hardest part of this life change is having my friends and I all going on to new adventures at one time. I take a while to get to know people and trust them, all due to my past experiences, so when I finally see someone as a friend, I love them dearly as my friend, and to see them go breaks me a little.

It's also terribly difficult to say goodbye to my sweet students. I love them so much, more than they know--all of them, really--and it breaks me to leave them. My husband reminds me that I'll find and love students in my new county, but it's hard to believe it. I know he's right, and I'm looking forward to new kids.

All in all, though, it's getting easier to think of a new place with new people and a new environment.

Four out of six English teachers are leaving.
Five of my friends are leaving.
It will be my fifth year of teaching.
I had the right connections.

It's my time to go.

Wish me luck!


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...