It's been a great summer, to say the least.
But man, it's been fast.
We made two big(ger) trips this summer, and the beach was one of them! Yes. (Last year, it took us going to the Halloween 10K to make it to the beach!) On the other trip, I got to see a friggin' castle, so I'd say that's outstanding. I also got to see the people that make my heart move and beat and breathe: my family.
Other than that, we've accomplished some projects around the house. J redid an area of carpet that was ruined, and it looks fantastic. I painted our living room accent wall a golden-yellow, and the rest is a lighter off-white, yellow color.
As you can catch on, we took my summer school money and basically redid our living room. I'm completely in love. Sure, we painted, but we also got some new furniture, we added to the pillow collection, and I found an absolutely stunning floor lamp (with three shades!) to go in the corner. We got some wood-like brown blinds for the windows, which warm the place right up, and I bought a massive frame to go over the couch--once I find the perfect picture for it. The room is modern and bohemian and brilliant -- according to me.
J has also prepped the front porch for staining, which needs to be done, and I planted not one but SIX plants. YES. I planted bushes, people. They look good. Let's hope a mole doesn't destroy them like my other little plant. I don't have a green thumb, but I love seeing some green in the winter months. The more the better.
Lastly, we found an umbrella for the back deck, and that really livened it up. I will say, however, that we didn't spend enough time out there this summer--mostly due to mosquitos.
So, school is about to start. Yup! I know my classes, and funny enough, I know many of the students. Some of them are 10th graders who were in my 9th grade class last year. I'm pretty excited about it. Each year, however, comes with the bit of anxiety I'll probably get for at least eight years. It's the unknown. Will anything change in the school this year? I'm okay with change, but I want to know about it ahead of time. Will my literature stay the same? Hopefully. Little things like this hit my mind about a week before meetings start, and it's hard to think of much else.
Luckily, we've had ways to forget all summer, including fabulous hang outs with friends--new and old. Laurie just visited, and we went to IKEA--one of my favorite stores of all time. She stayed for two nights. We got to take walks together, chat about life, and escape some tornados again. Sweet! I've also had some time with some great teacher friends and their significant others. I'm loving meeting new people and getting to know them!
My only issues with this summer were things that just didn't work out due to time. First of all, I wanted to visit G this summer, just like I did last summer, but I just ran out of time. I'm hoping I can visit her this fall when (if) she moves a little closer.
I also wish I could have visited my college town. God, I miss that place so much sometimes. Every now and then, I just want to take a time machine and go back to college. I want to tell myself a few things, and relive it. For instance: be careful with student loans. Little things like that. But all in all, I'd want to see the people I miss so much sometimes. I'd want the experiences again. I'd want to sit overlooking the field late at night--without a care in the world; go to the games and jump, jump, jump; play loud music and dance; go on runs at midnight; go tubing. You know what else? I'd just like to walk campus again. It's funny. I used to despise trying to run to catch a last-minute bus, and now, if I could have five minutes there, I wouldn't mind it. Now, don't get me wrong. I don't believe that "college is the best time of your life, so live it up." Sure, college is a great, fun, adventurous time, but life is beautiful, so all of your years are awesome--but for different reasons. What's outstanding, though, is that I have stories and memories to follow me for life. I would never, ever let go of them, and it was so worth it. HENCE, why I really miss it sometimes.
Could my friends just move closer, please? Could I have a little more free-time during the year? That'd be sweet. No, I didn't make it back to college town this summer, but I plan to go to a couple of games in the fall, and I couldn't be more excited!
Other that the above, the working out is going well, and because of it, I'm eating better. Actually, when I eat poorly, my stomach is like HEY-OH-LADY, HOLD UP! --right before punishing me. I'm looking forward to being healthier and bringing out the athleticism that lives inside and underneath me.
Anyhow, here are some pictures that I didn't post previously (I don't think?), and I'll try to post more soon.
Missing you, blog readers. I hope you are doing well, and I hope to hear from you soon.
![]() |
| beach trip |
![]() |
| new, awesomely cool lamp |
![]() |
| bold living room color |
![]() |
| deck with candles and umbrella |
![]() |
| surf man |
![]() |
| aunt d and me |






No comments:
Post a Comment