Each morning, I pass a brown house on a curve near the beginning of my neighborhood. I usually note the nicely-kept yard, or the piles of wood stacked for the upcoming season. The first thing I ever noticed about the house, however, was the cars. Not only did these people have one Land Rover...they had three. Three beautiful white Land Rovers for me to drool over each time I passed. Oh, did I drool.
On Monday, the owner of these vehicles died after getting crushed by one of his Land Rovers that he was working on. He didn't have it held up properly.
To be honest, now when I drive by I think of where his wife was at the time of the accident (in a comment, I saw that she was a teacher at one time). I picture myself in her shoes, and I feel a pit in my stomach for her loneliness and her empty house.
It's a really sad world we live in, and it's weird to see things like this happen. When it's "out of sight, out of mind," no one really thinks about it.
The good that comes from me passing this house each day is that I will have a constant reminder of life and its fragility. The only other good thing I can see about this is that he died while doing something he loved. It was very obvious he had a love for those cars, and unfortunately, it turned out taking his life.
Keep loving, people. Realize we are not invincible, like we think we are.
No comments:
Post a Comment