Here goes...
I want to begin with Wednesday of that week. My grandma and uncle, after their twelve hour drive, arrived at my parents' house! That in itself was surreal--so wonderful. They gave us gifts (help for the honeymoon and a beautiful painting by my uncle), and they gave us the good news that the rest of the family would arrive the next day! J and I headed home that night to rest up because the week was flying by.
Thursday was a big day because my aunt, uncle, and cousin arrived midday, and my other aunt and uncle arrived soon after. We all met at the ceremony site. The tent was already up, and the building was looking great! (We rented a neighborhood clubhouse with a great view for our wedding--a place we've looked at for years.) They all loved the location and noticed how large it was. We all hung out that evening catching up and eating dinner--it felt like we had never been apart (per usual). I think they loved the clean, open air and the good view. They also loved my dog :)
Friday was huge as it was a day for getting nails done with the girls and getting last-minute things done for the wedding. We decorated a lot, but we waited for the tablecloths and main table settings until Saturday. Looking back, I'm very glad I did that, because our wedding wasn't until seven, and if I didn't have things to do, I would have been nervous all day! The girls (including my wonderful grandma) went to get a mani and pedi! It was so fun. At this point, I was really beginning to feel like a bride.
During the mani-pedi, I got a call that my flowers were in, so the girls and I went to pick them out. Whole Foods is awesome, by the way, and that have amazing flowers to work with. After getting home, we put together all of the bouquets and boutineers. They turned out incredibly! I spent around $125 and ended up with florist-worthy bouquets. Dana took the lead on that one, and without her, I don't know what I would have done. My aunt Rebecca had a nice hand it in as well - thank God!
That night, I was so exhausted. J had gone to stay at his parents' house, and I had Ginny, Dana, and Jen spend the night -- Laurie came over that morning. If I get any of these details wrong, though, I wouldn't be surprised. Looking back, I was almost in this out-of-body experience... which continued through the next day as well. Anyway, Dana stayed with me in my room (she had to! It was our last sleepover ever, probably -- or at least, for a long time). We got up early to continue our crafts, and we soon headed over to the clubhouse to get things ready. We through together the tablecloths and table settings with my family. I wasn't really nervous, and I was excited. With my NY family around, it felt like an amazing family vacation, along with my wedding - which made it extra special. As I looked around, my uncle Jaime was setting up all the candles, while my aunts and other uncles were helping set out the chairs. Once I saw the tent with everything around it and under it,
I realized it was really happening.
Fast-forward to the afternoon. This is when I started to get nervous. Thankfully, I had my family and friends around me, everywhere. Justin was in another room with the guys, so I didn't see him at all. The photographer showed up, along with my hair and make-up artist (a friend), and the DJ.
It was really happening!!
Soon, it was time to walk out. The guys were standing in a line, off in the distance, ready to support J and I. The girls were smiling on the other side, and Dana was trying not to cry. I was in awe of all of the work that had been done around me. The candles were lit, my aunt was preparing to sing at her microphone, the men were standing in their line, and all the food was put out and ready (thanks to J's aunt Vicki - without her, my wedding would have been lacking food and presentation - thank you Vicki!). All I had to do, as the Bride, was walk toward the person I loved, and make sure my dad didn't fall over. He was nervous, but I also sniffed a hint of alcohol, so I knew the nerves wouldn't overwhelm him too much -- love you, Dad.
The music began. My aunt Dianne began singing "The Way I am" by Ingrid Michaelson. Dad and I walked, probably too fast, to the alter. As soon as I turned to Justin, the "I'd buy you Rogaine" lyrics sounded in the background, and everyone had a good laugh.
If you were falling, then I would catch you.
You need a light, I'd find a match.
Cause I love the way you say good morning.
And you take me the way I am.
If you are chilly, here take my sweater.
Your head is aching, I'll make it better.
Cause I love the way you call me baby.
And you take me the way I am.
I'd buy you Rogaine when you start losing all your hair.
Sew on patches to all you tear.
Cause I love you more than I could ever promise.
And you take me the way I am.
You take me the way I am.
You take me the way I am.
You need a light, I'd find a match.
Cause I love the way you say good morning.
And you take me the way I am.
If you are chilly, here take my sweater.
Your head is aching, I'll make it better.
Cause I love the way you call me baby.
And you take me the way I am.
I'd buy you Rogaine when you start losing all your hair.
Sew on patches to all you tear.
Cause I love you more than I could ever promise.
And you take me the way I am.
You take me the way I am.
You take me the way I am.
We tied the knot on a hill surrounded by trees, under an arbor Justin put together in the two days before the wedding. We tied the knot across the lake from my parents' house, in a place we had pictured and pretended about before. We tied the knot with my entire family (all thirteen or so of us!), who came from CA, NY, and D.C., along with extended from other states. We tied the knot with our college roommates, never forgetting the awesome few years spent with them.
We tied the knot our own way, and we were so happy.
And now it was time for portraits. The guys were so handsome - Phil, Justin, Matt, and Josh. It was so fun to have both of our brothers as part of the wedding party. That meant so much to us. The ladies were beautiful in their teal dresses - Jen, Ginny, me, Dana, and Laurie. Jen became truly my sister that day!
And now it was time to party.
That is just what we did. We socialized, we ate great food, and we danced until midnight. The dancing was the best. We did not permit the chicken dance, or anything of the sort! (Only one "typical" song was played, by popular demand, and I was okay with it.) It was hilarious; by the end of the party, it had kind of turned into a bluegrass festival. In no means did I oppose this happening, but it was hilarious!! We started with Old Crow Medicine Show and Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros, and it escalated from there. It was fantastic! People seemed to really have a great time.
We then stopped to cut the beautiful, amazingly tasty cake, made by a local elementary school art teacher.
What an amazing celebration.
Here's to 2011, especially June, and all of the love and happiness it had to offer.
Enjoy listening to songs from our wedding CD below.
Enjoy listening to songs from our wedding CD below.
Thank You
The Way I Am by Ingrid Michaelson
Home by Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros
You and I by Ingrid Michaelson
Are You Gonna Kiss Me or Not by Thompson Square
I Gotta Feeling by The Black Eyed Peas
I’m Yours by Jason Mraz
Why Don’t We Just Dance by Josh Turner
Everything by Michael Buble
Rhythm of Love by Plain White Ts
Wagon Wheel by Old Crow Medicine Show
If I Ain’t Got You by Alicia Keys
Making Memories of Us by Keith Urban
I Will Be Here by Stephen Curtis Chapman
I Wanna Make You Close Your Eyes by Dierks Bentley
Forever by Chris Brown
Bonus Track: Hot For Teacher by Van Halen




























No comments:
Post a Comment