Thursday, March 24, 2011

Thursday

It was one of those mornings where everything goes wrong.

I couldn't find my keys (luckily Justin was still here and he gave me my car key).
I couldn't find a lid for my spaghetti lunch (later to be spilled in my lunch bag).
I forgot my coffee (ran to Starbucks and was almost late for work).
I turned around violently to get my coffee, only to realize I didn't have my house key (I proceeded to violently turn around again--this is when I rushed to Starbucks).
I didn't have my school keys or classroom keys (luckily someone let me in).
I didn't have time to make sure I really knew what I was talking about before teaching (I know how to improvise).

After all of these bad things happened -- and they always seem to happen all at once -- I was able to pull myself together and greet my class. And guess what? They healed me and made my day. It's amazing how the kids can sense how I'm feeling, and they eagerly (yet subtly) try to make me feel better. Even the little things mean a lot to me -- like when a student walks in before anyone else and says, "Hi, Ms. ______" because they are in a good mood and are happy to see me. Or when another student comes up to show me their acceptance letter into a college with excitement. Or when another student says that my class is their favorite of the day (an 11th grader, people! They never say that!). OR (yes more fragments) when a student says, "Ms. ______, I like your shirt today. It's very vibrant" (a male student! and it was a new shirt!). It's these little things that fulfilled my day. I had one of the best days in my 11th grade class, and I think it's because I loosened up a little. I also walked around a lot more -- just to keep on their case. The last thing I've been doing is calling kids out for sleeping or "sleeping" in class. Good stuff!

Overall, the day was great, and now I've spent a relaxing evening with my babies. It's 9 pm, and I have done nothing to prepare for tomorrow, except watch a horrid movie version of Macbeth. Oh joy! However, I plan to have fun again tomorrow (FRIDAY!) and allow myself to see the good in things.

PS: My 11th graders asked me if I used to be a hippie today because they "could totally see it." My job is done. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...