Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Grumps

I can't help but be a little annoyed that I got out early from work for snow, didn't have the copier to finish organizing for my first day of the second semester, and we have not a bit of snow on the ground. The sun is coming through the clouds as I type.

Yesterday I looked at the map, and proclaimed that it wasn't going to do anything-the system looked like it was headed away from us instead of directly into us. Sure enough, that's what happened. Unfortunately, this morning when it started sleeting, we all (including me, yes) figured it was the beginning of the 4-8 inches of snow we were supposed to get. I have to admit to getting my hopes up.

I also get grumpy when I feel overwhelmed. It is going to hit hard that I'm beginning a new semester, and I have to learn all new names and start over. It's a great thing because I don't have to stay with the same classes all year, but it's hard because I have to learn about each of these classes. All classes have a personality and potential. As far as 11th grade, I know what I'm doing for most of the semester, but I don't have beginning materials ready. I have a few 12 grade materials ready, but I don't know anything about the literature for the first few days. It's a weird mixture of confusion and stress.

Anyway, I'm going to change this mood I'm in. I'm going to take a therapeutic shower, take the dog on an oxygen-filled walk, and organize my plans for school.

By the way, I got the Jeep back today. The re-built transmission is working great! Let's hope nothing else goes wrong in that thing, or I might have to pay monthly on a (lot) new (er) car.

Happy Hump Day.

2 comments:

  1. What literature are you doing with your 12th graders? 12th grade was my favorite year for reading in high school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll give you the list tomorrow...basically I start with Beowulf... I know I'm doing Canterbury Tales, modernism, renaissance, etc. It's just a lot to kind of... catch up on in such a short amount of time. It's likely that I'll be lucky to be two days ahead of my classes. Thus the life of a first-year teacher! I'm taking the crash course and starting in the middle, though, which makes it tough.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...