Thursday, December 2, 2010

My cooperating teacher was out sick today, so I took over the classes she usually teachers, as well as teaching mine. It went great. We read "The Masque of the Red Death" in my class, slave narratives in AP, and a short story in English 10. What really made my day was when a student showed up for my after school make-up work "session"--all this means is I told them I'd stay after a bit today, and they should stay to raise their grades! I worked with the one student after school for a while as we listened to music, and then another student showed up! The three of us ended up chatting for a while (even when they were done working on school work!) It made my day to be worth their time lol. High school students are so egocentric, so even though I already know they like and respect me, it still means a lot for them to spend time with me even when school is let out. 

Overall, it was a great day. I am exhausted, however, but I'm crashing on my friend's bed in front of her t.v. now. I plan to head home after "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" for some needed shut-eye.

1 comment:

  1. :) you already know this... but when you give kids, no matter how old they are, a little bit of your time and heart, and they see you as a "real" person, i think you'll find that's going to pull them closer to you...not only as students, but they want more for themselves in other areas, too, because of you. :) it's actually a really beautiful thing... :) just like good ol' Oprah has been saying for all of these years...kids don't want more "stuff" - they want your time and attention... it's a priceless gift... for both the giver and receiver... :)
    who ever will be smart enough to grab you up to teach will be richly blessed... :) and the kids...woah buddie :) just remember times like this when you have the rough days or tough kids...for some reason, at the time, the tough times tend to overshadow the good... :)
    keep up the awesome work, Miss Hankla :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...