Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Old Friend

Every now and then, I think about my friend Jason I knew from my first college. He was 29, I was 20, but we clicked and became friends easily. We met in my public speaking class. He was into music, so after class, he and a couple guys would meet in the piano room to play/sing. I ended up joining in for the fun of it, and they ended up turning into two of my good friends at the time. We became kind of a group. When Jason needed help, he borrowed my book. When we were hungry, we'd stop by the pizza place after class. When we were bored (or not), we'd stay after to play music for an hour or so. It was just good. Jason and and I took a walk once down this path that I hadn't seen--he took a picture of me from a wall looking down and sent it to me months later. I took a picture of him one time as we waited for class... still have it somewhere. I took it on my old camera, so I'll have to find the film and post it...We even sat in my car one night talking after class so long that the college cop kicked us out. It's just that we had a lot to talk about.. he had experienced a lot more of life than I had, so we shared our stories. He also introduced me to Tom Waits, this down home, rough and tough kind of singer. I remember a title having to do with taking "the long way home," which we both really liked. Later that year he suggested I join his new band, but they were going to be doing music a little too grunge for me.

Basically, it was great to have a friend that supported me in class, cheered me on, left notes on my "graded" papers to praise my speeches--as well as really simple yet funny pictures, etc. He also started calling me Lady Di, which I actually really grew into. And he always ended his e-mails with "have fun" or "keep having fun," which was always nice. He thought I was "quirky cool" and I thought the same of him--I mean, hell, he had a nose ring! (The kind that is in the middle at the bottom, not like when a girl has a nose piercing).

We kept in touch via e-mail for a couple of years... I told him about my foot surgeries, he told me about his living situations, exploring cities, going to NYC a lot, etc.

Then I got an e-mail that he was moving to CA. See, he and his girlfriend decided they needed someplace new to live, and San Diego it was. She found a job, and he was moving in two weeks. I tried to grab coffee with him, but our schedules didn't work out. He took his jobs, his girl, and his life to CA.

The last e-mail I got was simply him saying he'd get back to me with stories, but I guess life took over. He was unemployed and having a hard time finding work, but living in CA! I was/am so happy for him.

Reading all the old e-mails got me all nostalgic, of course, and now I know I'll go to bed wondering where he is with his life, his dogs, his girlfriend, his job, etc. He's probably 33 now... not positive, but I imagine that he could even have kids at this point. Who knows! I just hope he's doing okay, loving life, etc. I also hope that one day I'll see him again and we can catch up.

Until then, I'll just picture him in a place with a beach, his dogs and cats, his guitar, and his girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...