I talked to the teacher I will be working with as a student teacher, and I've got to say, she sounds open, cheery, and fun. This has definitely lifted a lot of weight off my shoulders, since I wasn't sure what she would be like. She informed me of the books we might be working with, with the 10th and 11th graders:
Of Mice and Men
Into the Wild
The Things They Carried
The Great Gatsby
The Crucible
Their Eyes Were Watching
The House on Mango Street
Things Fall Apart
Persepolis
A Thousand Spendid Suns
Siddhartha
Antigone
Oedipus
Long Walk to Freedom
Also, I need to be able to teach World Literature and American Literature. I was hoping I could do British Literature, but whatever works is fine with me. I'll just make sure to prepare in advance.
Out of those books, I haven't read many, and I haven't heard of the rest. Thus, I begin today by reading The Great Gatsby, by F.Scott Fitzgerald. What's great is he also wrote This Side of Paradise, which I read this past semester and loved. Basically, I'm finding that I already like The Great Gatsby, so I've concluded that I also love this author's style of writing. His choice of words and phrases are fantastic, as well as the comedy he throws in every now and again. His characters just stick with me. This book brings me back to The Sun Also Rises, which I'm sure is completely different, however, Ernest Hemingway has a way with characters as well, and really setting the tone. First person really is the best, in my opinion, (and how I would write), so when there is a well-developed or interesting character taking the point-of-view, I stay pretty interested.
(Side note: my favorite character is Hemingway's novel was Brett. She was just awesome. Kind of like Scarlett in Gone With The Wind, or Blanche in A Streetcar Named Desire. All of these women are the same.. it's that love/hate relationship thing, but they really know how to take the stage).
I'll let you know how I like the books as I read along, but for now, I move on to the next topic.
***UPDATE: I found The House on Mango Street at the thrift store today!***
My dog thinks she can eat squirrels through glass. Seriously. She has slammed her face against the glass door a couple of times, only to leave a drool stain of failure for the squirrel to laugh at. Chasing squirrels must have been a daily activity for her on the farm. I feel pretty bad that I can't let her go out to do so here, but I think I might just lose my dog. In other dog news, I find that if I take a long walk with her, she is too tired out to slam into glass, and she goes to sleep. Success!!
In other news.....
my friend Josh and I made mac n cheese last night. Finally, someone else who agrees that blue box Kraft is the bomb, yet agreeing that homemade was a better fit for the occasion. There are people that like Velveeta over Kraft, and those people are crazy. I also got some brownies to take home (ah-mah-zang). This may be strange, but I've noticed that chocolate and cheese are a great combination. I'm not saying you should melt some chocolate and dribble in on your piece of cheddar, but if you buy white cheddar popcorn, maybe try some m&ms on the side. Weird, I know... but for me, it seems to work.
INCUBUS. is probably my favorite band. evarrrrrrr. Regina Spektor and those amazing people are one person, so I'll just say that Incubus is different because they're a band, so they can be my favorite in the band category. Even if this is a bit far-fetched, it makes me feel less guilty about liking them over the other favorites I have--such as those that I really like to sing with. I was introduced this band by two guy friends are the same time and became a fan right away. The lead singer is not only good-looking in a really strange kind of way, he also sings ..... well I don't even know how to describe it. It's genius. I'll include a song below to listen to. Listen to the lyrics.
APARTMENT living has been pretty good so far. Is it better than the old apartment? Yes. I think it's quieter, though I'm not sure, because we heard music around midnight right.next.door the other night, which made me think we could be in for a loud year. Let's hope not. I'll just knock down their door and inform them that I am a student teacher and I need my sleep! And I'll bring my big scary dog, too.
CLEANING the apartmet and unpacking is probably my least favorite task as of lately. I've decided that tonight I am going to unpack at least a few boxes so that might living room seems larger. Also, I'm going to have to do laundry soon already, and I no longer have W/D in the apartment. Fortunately, it's not far at all. I also have laundry at my old apartment to do, which is why I have been wearing a lot of the same clothes recently. I'll have to get this stuff done soon. OH BUT WAIT I HAVE TONS AND TONS OF HOMEWORK AND READING. Growlroars.
This is enough for now, but expect more detail of why I like Fitzgerald's language, what else my dog does, an update on if my cat is still surviving, and maybe a new recipe or suggestion in blogs to come.
No comments:
Post a Comment