Thursday, December 13, 2018

My Aria

Dearest Aria,

It's hard to believe it's been almost 16 months since I met you. I'm sorry I haven't written before now, but it's been a busy year with two kids! You may understand one day. 

It hasn't been the easiest year with only six weeks off for maternity leave, but I can say that I spent as many minutes with you as possible every evening and morning--along with every break at work to pump. I loved time with you--and still do. 

At only 1.5 weeks old, you had that pesky fever. I checked your temperature, and it was 100.7, from what I can remember. This is a big deal for a one-week-old baby! As I gathered my items, unshowered and crying, we drove to the doctor's office, only to be told to go to UVA. You and I drove together to the large ER that reminded me of a city, and I kept you close and covered as we made our way to the pediatric unit. Before I knew it, they were running all kinds of tests--blood tests, urine tests, spinal taps (they had to try three times, all unsuccessful), and somehow I remained calm. I sang and whispered in your ear, hoping to calm your cries, but I knew it was the right thing to do. After three days in the hospital with you, I was exhausted, but I was thankful for the time I had with just you and me. It was strangely special.

When you were about six or seven months, you did a weird movement at the sitter's house while sitting in her lap. I think you were just cold, so you jolted a little, but this unknown movement sent us into another wave of concerned doctors. They wanted to make sure you weren't having seizures, so they ordered an EEG. They also started noticing that you were a little behind with sitting up, so they assumed it was all related, and once again, they were concerned. 

Turns out, after a developmental evaluation, you are perfectly normal, you sweet girl! You're just laid back like your daddy, doing your own thing in your own time. But man, what a year of concern! I'm hopeful for a year of less concerning ailments. :)

You had us worried a few times, but look at you now, thriving. 

Other than the worries, we have had a beautiful year. You have been the "chillest baby" as people say, and your smile has changed my life. God gave me children with big, beautiful smiles, and I am blown away by His sweet gift. You were a cuddly baby, and you and I sat and cuddled for hours on the couch together. You nursed so perfectly, and I didn't even have to wear a shield like I did with your brother. We made it to eight months before you decided nursing wasn't your thing, and I'm so thankful for those months that we had!

Now that you're older, you've really started getting a personality. You point at what you want with that little finger, and you make whatever noise is needed to get our attention. You love your doll and your stuffed animals, and man, you adore your older brother. You definitely seem to favor daddy, but I'm okay with that. He loves you so, so much. You're his little girl.

Your first words have been hi, tree, dada, ta-lee (Charlie), ar (star), and nana (banana). You've said mama a couple of times, but today was the first time it seemed to be very intentional.

You're also starting to walk, and your excitement is undeniable. We practice with you every night, which is why I think you've been putting up such a fight when we get you dressed: you're exhausted, and you want to stay on the move. Life is getting exciting! I don't blame you.

Aria, thank you for changing my life and continuing to make me the happiest I've ever been. You and your brother are gifts that I would take over any material item any day. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...