Monday, October 29, 2012

Cancer and Death. Find the positive.


I want to write about a horrible, silent killer: cancer.

Let's back up. A few years ago, at college, I had a number of people I knew die. Many of them were not close to me, but there were over 10 people, within my family, my friends' families, etc., that died, and it was a tough time. I remember feeling a pit of dread, and I started to think about death a lot. I always questioned it, I worried about when it would happen, and I thought about the people a lot. During my first semester at college, I can only guess I was slightly depressed.

Fast forward to 2012. In the past year, there have been a number of deaths. To name a few: both of my childhood cats (more significant than it sounds), my grandfather, and--oddly enough--a man down our street, which was really sad, but I won't get into that story. Lastly, a high school classmate just recently died from fast-moving cancer. He was diagnosed in May, and he is gone already. It moved so quickly through his body that he had only enough time to marry his fiance while in his hospital bed, and call himself a husband for two weeks before leaving his family behind.

The difference between the first and last groups of sadness mentioned is simply that I am older, and I've been through death a few times now. Am I less sad? No. Do I handle it better? Yes. The other part of me that's different is that I feel God closer now. J and I weren't attending church in college, and as much as I believe that you can experience God on a mountain top by yourself, there's something to be said about experiencing worship with other people each week. You feel surrounded by goodness, and the music and sermon each week somehow strike your life in some way. This helps me remember that God is near, and whatever is going on in peoples' lives is God's plan--good or bad. There's always a meaning for it.

With that said, I want to mention someone to keep in your thoughts. I've known the family for around 15 years, and they are struggling with the sadness of losing a family member. Long story short: the father, a very respectable man, was diagnosed with cancer this past year. It moved so quickly, and they did all they could to help him. He has two children-both in high school- and a wife, who was my worship team leader for years. I always saw this man as a strong, kind, and well-dressed man. As a child, I looked up to this man and his wife. Now, in 2012, he has been through a number of things to help him get better, but nothing is working. He just got the message from his doctor to go home, enjoy life, and call Hospice. This man is only in his 40s, and suddenly, his life is possibly coming to an end right before him. The worst part is that he has the strength in his mind and heart to keep going, but his body just isn't going to let him.

I want you to pray for this family and this man. I know this happens all around us every day, and there are far worse things that happen to people. This man is keeping his mind positive, and he wants to enjoy his last days. Through tears for this family, I can't really imagine what I would do in this position. How can they still be okay right now? How can they even wake up in the morning?

It is clear: God. Not only does this family have a huge support group thinking and praying for them, they have people to help them get through each day -- people help with meals and yard work, to mention just a couple.

The positive thoughts the man has as he writes is obvious evidence of his love for God. What else? His knowledge that when he leaves this Earth, he will be in Heaven. Although none of us can imagine what it's like, that place is going to be unreal. It's going to be awesome. We're going to be so utterly happy, we won't know what to do with ourselves.

I'm not trying to give a speech or a sermon, and I'm also not trying to shove religion down anyone's throat--I really dislike when people do that to me. However, I'm also not going to keep quiet about all of this, and the only way I can discuss this topic is with the mention of God. I hope you don't mind.

Pray for this man and his family. Pray for everyone that has cancer, or any sickness, destroying their bodies without consent. Realize that we all will have to leave one day -- either as a young, successful, 26-year-old pharmacist, or an old, 83-year-old grandfather. We have to remember, no matter what, there is a reason for it. I'm not one to believe that we really need to know that reason.

With all of this said, no matter what religion or what viewpoint you have, let's just try to focus on the positive. Let's be thankful and happy for the shelter over our heads and the loving family we have--even if that family is made up of mostly cats and dogs (chuckle). Life is short, but it's really beautiful, and I plan to try to remember my blessings whenever possible, even in the midst of sadness.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...