Sunday, March 18, 2012

Contentment

I am the first person to admit to "skipping" church because of sleeping in. I also admit that I have trust issues, for lack of better words, with churches and people in them, for reasons I won't get into. Lastly, I will admit to the belief I have that church every week is unnecessary, and you can get just as much fulfillment at the top of a mountain worshiping God.

However, I'll go ahead and admit that church has been good for me lately, and it seems to help me get through the week.

For example, right after we moved into our house, I was trying to get everything perfect. I wanted it to look like a perfectly coordinated (or uncoordinated, however you describe my eclectic style). Many hours were spent wandering, searching for that perfect piece to finish off that perfect room.

Well, I did a pretty darn good job getting myself happy with the house. But, there was one room left: the master bedroom. Something just wasn't right. The blues and grays didn't go with the room, and I couldn't seem to bring in any fun splash of color to match those odd ocean-like colors, without it looking tacky. Our bed was too plain (it's very contemporary, simplistic), and I really wanted matching lamps to make it cohesive.

Did I get what I wanted? No.

On my way to church the Sunday before our open-house, I was expressing my annoyance with that room to Justin, but I was also considering the idea of just letting it go and being happy with what I had so far. I couldn't decide which route I was going to take.

The topic of the sermon that morning? Contentment.

I know that things seem to be coincidental sometimes, and it's hard to imagine things happening for a specific reason in your life, but it really felt that way, and I do believe it was so. We don't always get what we want, and we don't always have the perfect home or perfect car or perfect job, but we should look to God and be content with the things that bring us joy in life.

I won't say that every church service leaves me feeling this way, but that sermon really changed my way of thinking. I chose to be perfectly fine with the room the way it was, and I still am. It's fine, truly it is. I'm almost more content with the uncertain mismatch of colors, knowing that I'm not stressed or bothered about it anymore. I actually look back and laugh.

I'm not saying I won't make my room better with time, but I definitely don't need it perfect right now.

Have a good week, all, and remember to feel content with your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...