I think it's safe to say that it is well past the time I should have told you all my engagement story :)
First, I need to say that I had absolutely no idea. I was completely shocked. I never thought this would happen. I am the type of girl to unwrap Christmas presents early only to slyly cover them again; the girl that likes to know what's going on; the girl that can get anything out of my other half. But it really happened, and I wouldn't have it any other way. Looking back, I can't believe I ever wanted to know when it would happen and/or shop for a ring together.
The night began when we got a call from a group of friends/old roommates to hang out downtown for one of their last nights before moving and beginning the "real world." It was a last minute idea, and I had no clean laundry, so I threw on a black dress I found in the closet. Looking back, this is really odd because I usually don't wear dresses out. I also wore red shoes, and my hair didn't look too bad either (another rarity). What's hilarious about the dress is that in the pictures we took, it looks fine. In reality, it was horribly wrinkled and battered (from being in the closet for a longgg time without being worn), but I made sure to ask J if it would show up in the dark bar, and he assured me it would not. Off we went!
After only a few minutes at the bar (since we arrived pretty late), our friends were headed home to hang out. They were bored, I guess. As we were leaving, I asked J if he wanted to just... take a walk. It was a beautiful summer night, and I wasn't ready to go home yet. Our friends were clueless, by the way. No one knew except J and his best friend, Phil (more on that story soon). J agreed, since he was already planning on asking me to take a walk (the ring was in his pocket), so we walked on.
As we took a stroll together, the summer spirit took over us, and we took a variety of silly pictures. I probably was feeling rather fun because I was in a dress, and he was probably going along with anything since he was growing more and more nervous (you can tell from the pictures hehe).
We ended up at an overlook where we sat on a stone wall and stared into the openness of the field. We took more pictures (which is very nostalgic because we started our relationship with picture taking), and after I was throwing my hair around for a picture he was having me move and pose for, I opened my eyes to see him kneeling in front of me, ring in hand.
He asked just the right words: "Will you marry me?" in the midst of my "oh..my..god..oh..my..goooddddd," and of course, I said "Yes." I was so shocked!! I didn't expect it for at least another six months or so. Who knew he was planning for a 2011 wedding ;)
The ring was and is absolutely perfect. I've never seen anyone with it, and it's my favorite style. I definitely showed him the style a while back because I'm... a little picky with rings... especially one I will wear for the rest of my life! I never really thought I'd have the "dream ring" one day, though. He really made sure to make me feel special.
Did I mention the moon was out? What a perfect night.
| Nostrils! It's artsy, right? ..... |
| Our silly shot of the night. |
| Last picture before the proposal... |
---The Aftermath---
I was so shocked, I barely sent texts and called my friends and family. I rushed over to my friend Laurie's house to show her the ring. She couldn't believe how perfect it was for me, and how it was all she had heard me wanting in a ring for the past two years. I called my mom after Laurie demanded me to (I was honestly so shocked and excited, I could barely think straight). I also called Dana (it was pretty darn late), but she called back and I told her the great news! I sent texts to others that I figured were in bed at that point.. I think it was about midnight. Everyone was so thankful and happy for the event. What's hilarious about the whole thing is that it was Dana's birthday. Justin and I called her that morning in the car on speaker phone and left her a very obnoxious, silly birthday song. Who knew I'd be engaged that night!!
Once J and I got through the excitement together and he showed me the specs on the ring (he was pretty excited about them), we got to sit down and talk about how the hell he planned it all without me knowing.
Turns out, about two weeks before, I went home for a few days. He was shopping for the perfect ring at that time. He had the ring sent to his friend Phil's house, so that I wouldn't know. Earlier in the week of the engagement, Phil came into town to have lunch with Justin. J didn't invite me or mention it much, but I pretty much demanded to go with him because I mean... it was PHIL and I NEVER get to see him! I went to lunch with the guys for some great burgers, and everything was very ordinary and fun. Little did I know, when I just happened to tell them I wanted to grab some coffee, so I left a little early, they quickly exchanged the ring and placed it in J's trunk. Yes, the trunk. If I had known!! (I definitely went through the trunk that week, and J freaked for a minute at one point--me oblivious, of course. Wow, I'm glad I didn't find it).
Basically, the whole thing worked out wonderfully. Everything I did only aided Justin in his plan for proposing, which is great for a story, and he did a beautiful job planning it out and surprising me.
Now I can't stop thinking about June. :)

No comments:
Post a Comment