Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Today is kind of like a weird Friday for me. Tomorrow I have the day off, but I have to spend time driving over seven hours total to get to a job fair for teachers. I'm not complaining, really, but I also can't say I'm too thrilled. It is nice to have a little extra time to sleep in the morning. So, I feel rather adventurous and called my friend to have dinner with me! :) I plan on getting the soup and bread--it's that kind of weather today.

I think I mentioned how frustrating and bad the last couple of days went before Thanksgiving break, so I want to update to inform you that the past two days have been great! Maybe it's because we haven't had a huge load of work for class, but I really think the kids understand that even though they frustrate me, and I frustrate them, I still come back each day to help them learn. They know I'm not getting paid, and they see the patience I have with them.

Some ideas for classroom management that I've used, and they really work!

1. Broken-record: If a kid tries to argue with you, simply restate what you asked them to do. Say it again if they try with another argument. This really does work.

2. Bathroom Passes-YES! Even high school students need these, depending on the class. I gave each student 6 BR passes for about a month and a half. They reacted surprisingly well! I told them in the beginning that any bathroom passes they save will be Extra Credit. This is what made the students really go with it. They were not being punished--rather, they were getting order put upon them--however, a reward for that order is always nice. Which leads me to number 3...

3. Positive Reinforcement/Reward for BR passes. In the end of the 6 week period, I gave them two options:
a) I will take the amount of BR passes left over, double that, and add the points to your test
b) 1-3 BR passes = 1 Free HW pass, 4-6 = 2 Free HW passes

They loved having the CHOICE between the two, and the idea that one would help them with their grade RIGHT NOW, and one would help them more LATER. I heard no complaints, and they actually seemed excited to choose. In order to keep things organized, I passed out their progress reports so they could see their grades. I then had them write choice A or B on the back and give it to me.

I absolutely love this student teaching experience and how much I've learned. I can't believe I have a little less than two weeks. The students are all asking me if they can add me on facebook (noooo) or if I can be a teacher at their school. That makes me feel awesome. It shows I'm doing something right.

Since they asked so much about me yesterday and my ring and my life and my dog and my "boyfriend," I decided to show them a quick few pictures of .. ME. They loved it. After they had asked so many questions, I realized that they didn't know anything about me, except that I was an unpaid student teacher and my college. Now they actually see that I'm a person, too, and I really can have (even more fun) outside of the classroom. I even showed them the (waist up) Halloween picture of my friends and I all dressed up. They loved it.

Until next time... I'm off to get some Joe and dinner! Bringing my camera....

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...