I had a kid tell me I was his favorite "teacher" today. It was really nice. As much as I replied hastily with, "it's all lies" (jokingly, too), he repeated himself again rather seriously. Even though this student probably likes me because he's in my end-of-the-day class, and I'm in a goofy mood usually, and it's a small class, so I can pay them all attention, it still felt good to hear. He's hoping I'll get a teaching job and teach at his school. I wouldn't mind that either! I had another student say that she thought that I would "be a good teacher" when the time comes. As much as the kids argue with me or fuss, I know they appreciate me being there, unpaid and all.
Times like these make me feel bad when I don't do more for the kids...like bring them more snacks because they did their homework. Rather, I'm not bringing them snacks because none of them read the directions and they all did it wrong. It's very hard for me not to just give in though because I want to have some fun, too!
It will be so nice to have my own class where I can start my rules and expectations from day one.
I feel sorry for those of you that continue to graciously read my blog when all I talk about is teaching!! I'm very sorry...it's pretty much my life at this point because of the amount of hours per day I spend working at it, so it's all I have most of the time. However, when I am a full-time teacher, I doubt I will want to continue writing about work all the time ;) This is simply my first real experience with high schoolers and with English, so I'm documenting what I can.
In other news, this weekend is going to be very quiet in town because all of the college students get out of school tomorrow... I'm so jealous! I get out next week, but I can't go home until next Wednesday or Thanksgiving day. It'll be nice to be home for a bit. So far I have planned many, many coffee trips to my favorite coffee house (per usual) and black Friday shopping (as much as I dread it) with my dear friend back home. I told her I wouldn't start until 9 am at least--no earlier! We'll see. This year I'm actually planning to snatch a GPS (for the trips I want to have in my near future), and maybe even a camera. We'll see how low they go with those prices....
Enjoy Thursday!
No comments:
Post a Comment