Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Can I Do It?

Will I do it? Will I actually make a change in myself to become healthier and more active? This seems like it would be an easy question to answer, but with experience, it is unpredictable.

I found an old notebook I have filled with old newspaper clippings of my friends, family, and I in sports, band, work, etc. There is even a clipping of me serving ice cream at the old drug store I worked in during high school. Looking through the pictures once again reminds me of who I was as an athlete and how active I used to be. I was in the newspaper for one thing or another numerous times during my athletic career. Mostly it was for being the freshman that would get into a game and surprise everyone by scoring 11 points in a row or spiking the opponents ball 6-8 times to gain control. I wasn't a local star or anything--I never was the best. However, I always was there to try and work hard for the goal.

Me playing soccer, ignore the arrow over my head.. it was my way of showing which one was me for those looking at my newspaper clippings:
Some of the lack of exercise is natural, however, with growing older and busier (in high school all I did was sports), having jobs, and just not as much time devoted as in high school. Also, I have to say that I was miserable many days in practice because they were so long and grueling. I don't plan on needing that kind of fitness in my life again. However, I would prefer to be more active than I am now. It's almost like I want to join a volleyball club or something... too bad I'm not a student anymore!

My most recent excuses for not running are as follows:
1. New neighborhood, hate running on busy roads
2. Ipod has been dead since I moved
3. No running buddy (as much as I hate running right next to someone, I used to run with my friend, and he would run ahead. It kept me going and I knew I couldn't just stop)
4. Not knowing where I should run or in what direction... not sure how long the roads are or how long, let's just say, 3 miles is around here. My old neighborhood was easy and it had a great nature path I ran on. Nothing like that here! Just cars and people... everywhere.
5. Not knowing where my inhaler is since I've moved. My doctor said a while back that my lung function was lower than average for my height/weight, and I should at least try using an inhaler before a run. She said it could be a form of asthma. I went to the doctor because of my lack of breath and some pain I had. She wanted me to get a lung function test, but it cost over $2,000 dollars.. I'm sure it would have been covered by insurance, but at the time I was too nervous to go. I'll admit that I'm kind of scared to push myself because I notice my chest really feeling strained during a run. (And since then, I had appendicitis and surgery!) I have no idea where my inhaler is!!

There are some that obsess about their weight and exercise, and I also don't want to be like that. I feel good about my looks 95% of the time, so this would be for my personal health and yes, getting rid of a few pounds.

The first step is just getting outside, as a friend of mine, as well as many others, have told me. Today is a beautiful day and I plan on doing just that. Once winter comes, who knows what I'll do. All I know is I wish I could afford a gym membership right about now! (or a personal trainer, running buddy... something!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...