Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Change in Climate - north


The place I visited was a high of 72 the last day I was there, so coming back here is just unreal! The heat is super hot. It's home, though, so I'll take it.

I had the most enjoyable week away. It allowed me to escape daily life and instead look at the flowers, water, and birds. I was surrounded by people who know me, look like me, and think like me. I already told you a lot of what we did, and it's not a huge list. That's what was so great... we just hung out at the camp all week filling our time with conversation, amazing food, board games, watching ships pass right in front of our camp, and reading. Man, the reading felt awesome. We also had basically a family reunion on the last day. We had over 11 people, which is crazy! Haha. I have a small family, what can I say. I met 2nd cousins who were really nice. We also had my dad there, which is rare, and my uncle and his wife, who I hadn't seen in 13 years or so. It was so great.

Unfortunately, I read The House on Mango Street for my future job, and I did not like it! I usually love ethnic literature of any kind, but this book was just dull. It didn't have a good plot line throughout, and the author was a pretty pitiful example of the culture and people. I understand that there are hardships, but it just felt like one long complain. The thing is, the chapters were like 2 pages long, so you just got to read one dull complaint and move on to another one. I can see why some might like the book, but since I have read many other ethnic literature stories, there are others that are far better in comparison.

After a long drive with my dad home (he came to visit in the last few days, so I road back with him), I hung out with my friend Dana. She has been ready for this engagement for ... well as long as she could dream it. She is already ready to help with invitations and everything. Thing is, we had these awesome invitations in mine... tri-fold something or other... but as I watched her carefully try to take alllll the steps to make one on her table, I stopped and decided that we should do something simpler. My invitations are going to be very, very simple and handmade. Awesome. Justin's brother is giving us a DJ for a gift, which is amazing, and his mom is going to make our cake(s). Handmade wedding plan is going smoothly so far!!

OH and Justin got a T.A. position. His tuition is paid for and he supposedly gets a paycheck. That is a huge, huge blessing, I'd say.

Now I sit on my couch with my kitty asleep in my lap (waking up occasionally to smack the dog), and the dog sleeping at my feet on the floor with her sock. It's a pretty cute sight. I had a great time, but it's good to be home.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...